“THE MAN WHO HAS NO IMAGINATION, HAS NO WINGS”
– MUHAMMAD ALI
I remember a time where every single night after primary school had finished, I would run home, get changed and the first thing I would do was get on my bike. This bike, all be it pink and girly, was in fact, a very posh sports car…
We were lucky to have long drive at the back of our house where hardly any cars would come, so we spent the nights playing on our bikes.
One of the games we used to play we named ‘Traffic’. This game wasn’t a game as such, it was a make-believe world where we use to imagine that we could be anything we wanted to be. I remember this game so clearly.
My choice of career was a hairdresser and I had the most beautiful sports car. I would ‘drive’ up and down the lane, picking up hair products, popping back to the salon, answering the phone on my hands free, stopping at traffic lights and cutting peoples hair. In that moment I believe and imagined, one hundred percent, that I was that hairdresser with a beautiful sports car and a wonderful life. It was my favourite game for so long – until we became older and started to think that playing imaginary games was childish and a bit silly. Well, HOW WRONG WAS I?
Imagination is the ability to form a mental image of something that is not perceived through the five senses. It is the ability of the mind to build mental scenes, objects or events that do not exist, are not present, and have never happened in the past. Imagination makes it possible to experience a whole world inside the mind. It gives the ability to look at any situation from a different point of view, and to mentally explore the future.
Every decision, every idea, every seed of opportunity begins with a thought in your mind. You and only you, have the choice of recognising and imagining something to let the opportunity or idea work in your favour.
So why should we tap into our inner child and use our imagination more?
Imagination is a wonderful power that can change your whole life. It is used in creative visualisation and affirmations. It is the creator of circumstances and events. When you know how to work with it, you can make your hearts’ desires come true!
Imagination has a great role and value in our lives. It is much more than just daydreaming. We all use it, whether consciously or unconsciously in most of our daily lives. We use our imagination whenever we plan a party, a trip, our work or a meeting. We use it when we describe an event, explain how to arrive to a certain street, write, tell a story or baking a cake.
The creative power of imagination has an important role in the achievement of success in any field. What we imagine with faith and feelings comes into being. It is the important ingredient of creative visualisation, positive thinking and affirmations!
So, what are the benefits of using our imagination?
- Imagination generates more ideas, which in turn allows for the creation of inventions such as a new business, new career, a whole new life!
- You have more confidence in your abilities and are able to reach your goals sooner. This is a technique we call ‘ACTING AS IF’– you physically act and imagine AS IF you’ve already achieved it!
- It helps us to recognise and resolve problems much easier because we’re integrating the experience with the imagination to find new ideas and ways around the problem.
- Imagination ignites passion. As adults we have been forced into a world of responsibility and practicality where money, bills, and jobs (like them or not) dictate how we live, breathe, and experience the world. Dreaming of what can be allows us to tap into our imaginations again, reminding us what it feels like to be passionate about something.
- It can create our future.It’s long been said that ‘thoughts become things’ and our imaginative muscle is the very thing that helps make that possible. When we stay immersed in what is always directly in front of us (current reality), we continually create the same challenges, problems, and experiences over and over again. But, when we venture into our imagination to focus on the reality that we want to experience, the energy is set in motion and magnificent changes can occur!
And as Albert Einstein stated:
“Imagination is everything. It is the preview for life’s coming attractions.”
When we turn our thoughts to what we want to create in our lives, the possibilities are endless. With that kind of imaginative power, why would we waste it focusing on the mundane?
We have the power to create so much more and it is up to us to use our imaginations to change our lives and our world for the better.
Go on – IMAGINE!